MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

08 October 2007

ISO A Perkier Bobble

I posted this question on the knitlist:

I'm doing a stitch swatch of "Mimosa Shoot" (Knitting Daily, Stitch of
the Day), and the bobbles are formed by "K1 P1 K1 P1 into next stitch,
turn, K4, turn, sl st purlwise, P3tog, psso". Got it. But the
problem is, when left alone, my bobbles tend to bob to the wrong (or
rev. stockinette) side, rather than the right side. If I try to prod
them to the right side, they look like half-insie/half-outtie belly
buttons - like they *really* want to go back the other way.

I've tried knitting tighter and looser, as well has knitting the
following (all purl) row more tightly, to no avail.

I'm using up odd ball yarn - in this case, LB Microspun, which is
*really* smooth and soft. Could this be the culprit?

Any suggestions? TIA.


I'm repeating the question here, (1) so those that don't receive the list can give me their input, and (B) because I just think the question is funny.

Here are pix of the purl side




and the knit side




Now it might not be so obvious from the cell phone pix, but the purl side just seems to *POP* more, and I figured out why it's bugging me so much. Bobbles, generally, remind me of nipples, and it's been a loooooooooooooooong time since I've seen some perky ones. Also, a non-popping bobble looks a lot like an inverted nip (and breastfeeders will back me up here), an inverted nip just aint much fun. Bobbles made from with smaller gauge needles and smooth fiber are just so much more like nipples (can you believe I said "needle" and "nipple" in the same sentence?!?!? OUCH!!!), and the pink color can't be helping the imagery much.

This looks infected.

2 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may be crazy, but why don't you just make the bobbles on a wrong side row?

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger JenL said...

You might want to check out one of Annie Modesitt's books that has bobble instructions (or maybe her website). She showed us how to make them without having to turn our work and they looked great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home