MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

11 October 2007

Like, OMG!!!!

HOW thrilled was I to see Knitty's latest surprise, quite by accident?!?!?! I was looking on KPC for something totally unrelated (and long since forgotten) when I saw the new link. Of course, this morning, they have updated the links (see side bar), BUUUUTTTT, I wasn't expecting it, and it gave me something to do yesterday! As I mentioned several times (much to their annoyance) to the attendees at last week's SnB, I'm having some committment issues with projects. I think I'm feeling overwhelmed, in general, and with knitting, in particular. But the one thing I have vowed (with varied success) to do is to KEEP KNITTING FUN. So I've indulged my laissez-faire attitude.

HOWEVER.

We got two birfdays coming up - WMG's, and that of her FAVORITE uncle (my former boyfriend), and, putting aside all the moral, legal and philosophical considerations, we always do a shared party (they are ONE DAY apart!) AND I HAVE NOTHING FOR GIFTING HIM!!!

Since he recently got married (1 year ago) and even more recently announced the impending birth of his first child (a couple months ago), my gifts to him have become simpler and considerably less expensive. I don't think his new wifey would appreciate me lavishing immoderate gifts on him, and I can't say that I blame her. So I was kinda at odds for what to do this year, particularly since I am secretly working on something for the coming babe. Well, Knitty resolved this for me quick, fast and in a hurry.

He *loves* Nightmare Before Christmas. And even if he didn't, he once made the mistake of saying he does, so it has become A Thing for him. You know the phenomenon - when you unthinkingly say, "I like pigs", and for the next 20 years, for every occasion that requires gift-giving, you are the recipient of some sort of porcine gift. Whether it's pig-shaped soap, or pig kitchen towels, or pig slippers. You rue the day you ever mentioned pigs, because you are STUCK with it. Well, it's that way with Douggles and Jack Skellington. I don't care if he really likes it or not, he's getting getting it because it makes MY life easier!!! And it doesn't hurt that I also found this FANTASTIC pattern to go with it!!! I KNOW!!!!

Now, Douggles and I have known each other for nearly 20 years, so I don't really remember if he shares my love of All Things Gothic, or if that's just my faulty memory, but every year he gets something goth or gore related, and every year he acts like he likes it... :)

I was so excited about finishing these two before the shared celebration (currently slated for 20 October 2007), that I didn't even bother going to a *real* yarn store last nite (too far away, too much effort, yadda yadda). Nope. I went to the uber-convenient Pearl off Pico, because (1) it's on my way home and (b) I know they carry all things Lion Brand. Douggle's wifey, the Dawnster, has extreme psychosomatic allergies to a lot of things, so all things wool (even non-but-perceived-as-wool-like, such as alpaca or llama) are verboten in the house.

Can I just say Cotton-ease is GREAT?! It's sproingier than 100% cotton, but still has that cotton-y softness. AND it's machine washable and dryable, which is a considerable consideration when it comes to a house filled with 2 pre-teens, 2 pitbulls, a cat, an alzheimers' patient and an impending new babe.

Anyhoo, I got my yarn, and I got a real fright, just in time to get me in that spirit spirit.


{{SHUDDER!!!}}

3 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Psychomom said...

I saw that skull hat, very cool.

At first I thought it was OJ (very scary), then realized it was Bob and he was nothing like the juice.

Happy little trees...

I heart Bob :)

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i had that same bob ross experience at pearl. it's on my blog somewhere too!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Ooooo...I love that Skelly hat too! I have a Jack Skelly bobble thingy on the end of my car antenna!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home